After I had struggled so long yesterday with the electronic-covers I decided today to focus on other tasks. I want to make the guitar playable as soon as possible. If it really turns out as a usable instrument (I am not totally sure about that) I can go back any time and spend additional time with fancy details like the electronic covers or try to polish the finish more. Regarding the finish the headstock-paint is smooth, but the body is still a bit rough. I guess to make the surface smoother I had to sand the body again and add another layer of paint. But I think I can live with the actual feel.
So the first work of today became the frets. Of course you will remember, that I had registered one fret, which looks a bit awkward. I controlled this fret-position today and have to confess, that it was slanted around one millimeter. Therefore I sawed the fret-slot again and ended with a extreme wide slot, which I will have to fill later. However I started to glue in all frets afterwards.
As recommended by many people on Youtube I used Super-glue. Because I knew, that my slots are too wide, I had bought four tubes of super-glue, but I needed just two to glue in all frets. I let the glue flow into each slot and applied additionally glue on the edges of the fretboard, where the fret is resting on. After I had finish this procedure I also dripped super-glue into the gaps between the frets and the fretboard following a tip from another Youtube-tutorial. The channel between the fret and the fretboard is working like capillary tube and the glue runs with ease from one side to another.
Next I cared for the saddle. I had purchased a raw bone-saddle and after some measuring I realized, that I would just need the half of it. How can you cut such a little piece of bone? The coping saw worked really well and I can tell you, that bone-dust is smelling quite strange. I sawed one time to correct the length and the second time I sawed it into two parts (the other one I can keep for my second build).
I thought it would be a good idea to cut the slots for the strings, when I could already string the guitar, so I went on with more fretwork:
I used a long ruler to control, if the frets are at the same height, but unfortunately I registered some gaps in the middle area of neck. I really already considered to start a complete fretjob, when I remembered on the possibility to adjust the trussrod. When I started to turn the trussrod little pearls of sweat appeared on my forehead. Would the trussrod work? Would the complete neck explode? During the first little movements I heard some cracking noises, but then it worked and oh wonder: When I controlled the fret-height again it seemed okay, much better than before. Motivated by this positive surprise I went on with the fine-tuning of the frets.
Some fret-ends were still a bit too long and they also needed polishing. I would not like to start playing and to collect metal-splitters with my thump. First I used a big file to align the frets to the dimensions of the fretboard. Second I sanded all frets at once with the long aluminium-bar. At last I removed remaining sharp spikes with a little triangle-file.
When I was happy with the result (A brave slide with my fingertips along the fretboard-edges did not end bloody), I thought about how to get nice side-dots at the upper fretboard-side. I looked for something blue to match the color of the guitar and my searching eye stopped at the LEGO-bricks of my eldest. When he was not attentive, I stole some blue LEGO-bricks. Next I cut the knobs with my coping saw, sanded the knobs a bit and washed them. Then I located the right positions by drawing a cross between the frets and the fretboard-edges, but this method did not work and I fear my side-dots will not be in line. However I will get highly original position-markers.
Outlook: I told you, that I want to hear a sound of this baby as soon as possible. So I promise, that I will finish the side-dots tomorrow and then … then I will assemble the whole guitar …
Visit me on bandcamp