Yesterday I could not continue the work, but today I could finish many tasks and experienced a very productive building day. Just the digital cam got low-bat again so I want to excuse in advance the varying quality of the photos, because I had to use my cellphone again.
I started with the battery cavity and placed it between the volume-cavity and the Humbucker, because I was in awe of the long ways I had to drill through the body. I could not adjust the router to go deep enough, so the upper edges of the cavity were more burned than cutted. I was surprised, that the router-bit became so hot, that it could burn away wood.
Then I thought about, how I could realize covers for the two cavities. First I used another router-bit to create a short step at the top of each cavity.
Next I thought about how I could open the boxes later. I decided to widen the steps on two areas for each excavation. Later I will cut fitting tops and fix them with two little screws on the widened parts.
The next task were the holes for the neck-screws. I could not use the driller-stand properly, so I took the risk and drilled freehand and I think it will work. The holes were widened at the bottom of the guitar-body with a 12mm driller-bit, because I wanted to insert drive-in-nuts (Don’t know, if this is the right term in english)
After I had finished the inserts I remembered, that I still wanted to sculpt on two areas of the body (good, that I have not forgotten it). First I rounded one corner of the neck-joint (Ibanez would call it All-access-neck-joint). Second I routed a small channel at the end of the fretboard, because I remembered, how uncomfortable it is, if you have to detach the whole neck to adjust the trussrod.
Next I drilled a hole for the jack-plug. This was harder, than I had thought before, because the hole has too be very wide and I have no driller-bit thicker than 12mm. Therefore I had to improvise. I used the 12mm-bit with circulating movements to widen the hole. Then I inserted the Dremel with a sanding-bit and sanded until the jack fitted.
Then all electronics must be connected. I used my longest driller-bit to drill from the jack to the volume-cavity, from the volume-cavity to the battery-cavity and from the battery-cavity to the Humbucker. I worked carefully and slowly, because a wrong movement and I could drill through the top.
My channels for the wiring look like this, maybe a bit wide, but I don’t have another long bit. I assume, that professionals have long driller-extensions to achieve small angles while drilling.
Fortunately I had a lot of time today, so I did not hesitate one second and went on with the spray-painting. I had observed on Youtube, that it’s helpful, to attach a temporary neck to handle the body while applying paint and to hang it later.
But that’s not all for today …
I also found a solution for my decal-problem. I used a high-quality white marker to write my logo on a transparent sticker-film. Next I cut it, applied it on the headstock and fixed it with an additional layer of transparent lacquer. Actually it’s drying and I will probably apply another layer. I could also not resist to write a serial number.
Outlook: I am happy, that I could finish so many tasks today. Tomorrow is my first working-day after my vacation, but I will have time to go on during the next week.
See you soon ….
Visit me on bandcamp