Thirteen is a bad omen, but the building day went over without any big mistakes. I started with the inspection of my neck-pocket, which I had modified with wood-filler yesterday. After some sanding everything worked fine and when I fixed the neck with a clamp it stayed save in the neck-pocket without moving or rattling. Then I checked with a long ruler, if the fretboard is lined up with the bridge and if they are at the same height of 8mm. I also checked, if both sides of the neck have the same height.
Next I could start with the fun-part of today: The body-contours. Soon I realized, that sculpting the arm- and tummy-cuts would take too much time using the file. Therefore I changed the tool and tried again to work with the chisel. I was much more careful than the first time and it worked pretty well and fast. When I had removed enough wood I used the file again and at last sanding paper. The rounded body-sides were created only with the file and sanding paper. I worked the whole morning on the body when the lunch was ready the body was done. Besides the Chisel and the file the Dremel was again helpful for hard to reach areas like the inner sides of the two cutaways.
My third task today was to locate the right bridge-position and to install the bridge. I followed this useful guide on Youtube
I learned some very interesting things from this video. To find the right position the luthier draws lines, which extend the edges of the fretboard, another line for the scale (in my case 660mm). The most surprising information was, that the bridges is not just placed with all saddles lined up at 660mm. It is placed, that the 660mm-line goes through somewhere between the maximum and the minimum of the possible adjustment of the saddles. In this way you achieve the most flexible position of the bridge. Because I want to have space besides the high E I placed the bridge not in the absolute middle position, but aligned to the low E side of the neck (By the way some of my photos below look different, because the battery of my digital camera was low and I had to use my cellphone for the last pictures).
And what’s about my decal-problem? Well I called two other copy-shops. Both of them can not print with white toner. Both copy-shops offer plotted stickers, but my decal is too small for this method. I looked for white toner for my own printer. Unfortunately my printer does not offer this option. A new printer with the option to print white would cost around 300 Euros. Therefore I will drop the decal-idea, but I remembered, that I had bought a high-quality white marker for a LEGO-movie and I could use it to handwrite the decal onto a transparent film. Maybe this idea is even cooler than to copy the Fender-style. Writing on film is hard to photograph, so the writing will look better than on the picture below.
Outlook: Tomorrow I will drill the string-holes, install the string-ferrules, do the routing for the Humbucker and the cavity for the electronics, drill the channel for the wiring, install the strap-buttons, drill the holes for the neck and hopefully I can also apply the first layer of paint on the body.
Visit me on bandcamp