Today’s building day stood under the sign of the neck-pocket. First I measured a lot and compared the build with my Kortmann custom guitar. With the help of the middle-lines, which I had drawn on the neck and the body I located the (hopefully) right position for the neck-pocket. I marked the contour with the pencil. Then I calculated very carefully how deep I had to go with the router, that the fretboard would still be 8mm higher then the top of the body. Before I had measured the Hipshot-bridge with all saddles as low as possible. The Hipshot is 8mm high. The routing of the neck-pocket was not as perfect as I had wished, because I was too lazy and did not care for a proper support. Therefore an area of the neck-pocket became a tad deeper than planned. After some sanding I decided to use my best friend, the wood-filler, again to fill the deeper area. I applied the paste and flattened it with a scraper. Tomorrow I will inspect, if the operation was successful.
I also wrapped my brain around a possible decal on the headstock. Inspired by some suggestions of a friend on facebook, I developed a decal, which bases on the classic Fender-logo. The friend on Facebook had suggested “Dirkcaster”, but later my sister came up with “Radocaster”, which sounds much more fluid. I added the two hyphens, because I think it looks more american. I don’t expect meanwhile, that any part of a guitar-build is easy, so I did not wonder, that a white decal is not as easy as it seems to be. Following a tutorial I wanted to print the white logo mirrored on transparent film. In a second step I had glued it to the headstock and covered it with another transparent layer of lacquer. But when I asked in a local copy-shop today, they explained, that their printers don’t contain white color. The only way to realize white letters on film would be to order a plotted sticker as it is used for advertisement on windows. Maybe I will do it this way. However I thought it would be funny to call it Rad-o-caster because of my surname “Radloff” and to add “Rough and ready”, because the line is pointing to the imperfection of a beginner’s first try. For the Fender-style logo I used the Banff-font, which is free, instead of the also recommended Brush Script Font , which would cost 35 Euros.
Outlook: Tomorrow I want to finish the neck-pocket. Next I would like to work on the body-contours and would care for rounded edges around the body.
Visit me on bandcamp