Day ten started with the inspection of the headstock-repair. The wood-filler had dried properly and I could sand the surface. I ended with an acceptable repair of the first headstock-crack. I will leave the second, because it’s not disturbing the tuning machines and second the mighty Fender-company can not sue me anymore for copying the Stratocaster-design.
I went on with the holes for the tuning machines. Because the big 10mm wood-bit looked very scary I thought it would be a good idea to prepare the holes first with a smaller bit. Unfortunately I could not find a set-up to use the driller-stand, so I had to drill freehand. I supported the headstock from the back to prevent another headstock-damage or worst a broken headstock. While the drilling with the small bit worked fine the 10mm-bit caused some serious damages at the upper edges of the holes, which I had to remodel afterwards with the Dremel and Sanding paper. Maybe the bit was not sharp enough (It was not used since years). Fortunately the tuners will cover the damaged areas later. A test showed, that the tuners will fit.
Next I wrapped the neck with scratch-tape and wrapping film, because I wanted to spray the headstock. Before I started with this project I had looked for a paint-product, which should be as easy as possible to use and stopped at spray.bike The company promises, that you will not need a prime coat. The advertising says: “Spray.Bike paint is a dry matte powder coating that doesn’t drip, dribble or misbehave in any way and gives a deep thick layer with just a single coat.” Because I am bloody beginner regarding spray-painting this sounded very promising to me. The paint was developed for bikes, but when I contacted the manufacturer, they were very confident, that it would also work on guitars. Maybe I am the first, who uses this product for an electric guitar. I am not a traditionalist, so I don’t care so much, if it’s Nitro-lacquer or Acryl, I just believe, that the less lacquer you use the better the wood can resonate. Therefore I will try to get along with three coatings: One color and two transparent coatings. We will see, if it works.
I had prepared an area in my basement with plastic sheet. Next I hung the neck with wire and send a small prayer to the sky …
The color-spray worked pretty well without drips and also coated the headstock with just one layer.
Next I applied a layer of the transparent finish. Here I ended with some drips though I had followed the recommendations of spray.bike, but keep in mind, that I did this for the first time. As recommended I waited for almost two hours before I tried to polish with kitchen paper. While this had worked for the colored layer it worked not so well for the transparent layer and left some marks of the kitchen-paper in the finish. I will wait now until tomorrow before I go on.
Visit me on bandcamp