So today I started with the frets and as usual I had underestimated the working-time. I was not able to install the frets completely today, because sawing the slots for the frets turned out more complicated than I had expected. First I had drawn a line on both sides of the fretboard to show the correct depth of two millimeters. However when I sawed the first fret-slot I realised, that I could not do this freehand with the japanese saw. Additionally I observed, that the fret-slots would become too wide, though I had followed the instructions of the manufacturer to use a 0,6mm saw. I decided to go on and to use glue to fix the frets in the slots. Because it was too risky to saw freehand I looked for a possibility to create a temporary depth-stop on my saw and at the same time I wanted another stop to keep the right angle. A little plate of wood was used as a side-stop and a block of wood was fixed with scratch-tape on the right side of the saw, two millimeters above the teeth. With this method I got a very secure set-up to saw.
My next task for today were the frets. Because I don’t have a dedicated fret-knipper I had to improvise again. I laid the fret-sticks into the fret-slots and marked the correct length with a standard-knipper. Next I locked the stick with a vice and cut at the marks with a metal-saw. The cut frets were stored then in their specific slots, because otherwise I could exchange them later easily.
Outlook: Tomorrow I will cut the remaining frets to length, then sand the raw edges and glue them in. The final treatment for the fret-ends is planned after the glueing, because then I have fixed positions and can orientate better on the fretboard-edges. I am still thinking over which glue I should use for the frets. Most people, who are glueing the frets use super-glue, but I fear my slots are really a bit wider than usual and it would probably be better to use a glue, which can fill the space better. I would think on Pattex “Kleben statt bohren”. According to users you can loosen the glue with heat, if the frets have to be replaced some day.
Visit me on bandcamp