So today I wanted to decide how to go on with the damaged headstock. As you can see in the two pictures below I had accidentally cut a big part of one side of the headstock and furthermore a little piece a bit upwards. Afterwards I had sanded it. I saw two different solutions: First I could saw the damaged piece of the headstock and glue a replacement part on. Second I could try to convert the accident into a spontaneous design. I decided for the latter one.
I registered two triangles in the damaged part. So I first marked the triangles. Then I let them stop at a ninety degrees angle to the guitar. At last I used the file to make the two triangles deeper and to accent them more. I ended up with what you see below and I am satisfied with the result. I will spray paint the headstock and could imagine to use two different colors to accent the design even more. I am still not sure, if I could copy the design to the front of the headstock, because I would maybe disturb the area of the tuning machines, where I need a plain surface.
Next I sanded the front of the headstock, which I had rawly lowered with the router. So if I not decide later to copy the backside-design to the front, the headstock is finished. Puuhhh … This was a very exiting part of the build.
And I staggered into the next little problem. Now I wanted to glue on the fretboard and registered, that some parts of the trussrod (both ends) were still a tad too high.
Therefore I located first the two problematic areas, marked them with the pencil and sanded those two areas to enclose it better with the fretboard.
Then I cut the fretboard. Because of my experiences so far I cut it longer, than I would need to have more space for spontaneous changes and accidents. I used the japanese saw and a little wood-block to hold the saw in a ninety degrees angle.
Finally I glued on the fretboard to the neck. As recommended by the manufacturer “Ponal” I applied glue to both parts and as the last time I used too much. I hope, that the function of the trussrod will be not affected by some glue, which dropped into the trussrod-channel. But it were just a few drops.
I also learned today, that spring-clamps are not strong enough to fix the glued parts properly. Though I have some very strong spring-clamps I had to use traditional clamps with screws to achieve the desired pressure and to avoid gaps between the two parts. I wish I had more traditional clamps, but I hope it will work this way. I used all clamps, which I have.
That’s enough for today. The neck has to rest now for twenty-four hours and meanwhile I will go to the cinema with my family and watch “Paddington 2”. See you soon and …
… Visit me on bandcamp