I am feeling exhausted! If you are not used to work with your hands the unusual stress for your body strikes back in the evening. It was a building day with some ups and downs and one big catastrophe.
I started with checking the glued parts of the neck, which I had secured with clamps overnight. The glueing worked as expected. I had used wood-glue for the headstock-stripes and the inlay to cover the wrong routed trussrod-channel. I used a few drops of another glue to fix the trussrod a bit, because I remember on stories about rattling truss-rods.
Today I planned to finish the headstock, so I had drawn a template on a simple piece of paper and copied it to my headstock-blank. Maybe because of the wider fretboard the position of the headstock seemed to be odd. Therefore I turned the headstock-template a bit upwards and corrected my drawing. The procedure to find the right position became very time-consuming and I spend the whole morning with measuring and comparing to my other guitar. At last I drew two lines as extensions of the fretboard-edges towards the end of the headstock-blank to see, where the strings would float later. This helped me to find a decision. I will see later, if it will work.
When I was satisfied with the headstock I cut the raw contours of the headstock with my padsaw. Though I had purchased new blades for the padsaw the little machine struggled a lot to cut through three centimeters of hard maple. Especially when I had to cut curves I thought the pad saw would explode in a moment. But at last I reached the end of the contour and inspected the work. I registered some burns at the curves, but I could sand them away later. You see, that a padsaw can not replace a bandsaw. I think the professionals are working with bandsaws.
Next I wanted to straighten the part, where the tuning machines would be (I build a reversed headstock) and worked a long time with an aluminium bar with attached sandpaper (grain 60). The straight and very stiff aluminium should guarantee a straight line. But I had underestimated the hardness of the maple, so the progress was very slow.
Discouraged by the long work with the sanding-block I tried to use the chisel for the other contours of my headstock. What do you think happens, if somebody works with a chisel for the first time? Right, I broke accidentally a piece of wood out of the headstock. After some time thinking over how to go on I sanded the broken part down instead of glueing the broken piece back in. I will probably change the design of the headstock to cover the mistake or sand down also the parallel part of the opposite side. I told you in the beginning, that I am ready to deal with mistakes as an beginner and maybe I can cover it in a clever way, so that just you and me know later, that this cool guitar-design was born from a mistake. I have not taken a photo of this shame, but I will show you it later.
The next part of my building day continued more easy. I used the router to reduce the thickness of the headstock from 3cm to 1,5cm. When I set up the router I left 1mm space for faults and of course I would have to sand it afterwards and thin it out furthermore.
Conclusion: I will not try to work with the chisel again.
Outlook: On the next building-day I will sand the headstock-front, look for a solution to cover the broken wood and work on the transition to the neck.
While waiting for the next part, you can visit me on bandcamp