10 tips to avoid buying a new guitar
You are suffering from the guitar acquisition syndrome? You are tempted by this 3000$ guitar, though you have ten axes standing in line at home? Here are some tips to change your mind.
1. Start to practice. I have observed, that the desire for a new guitar often starts, when I have not practiced for a longer time, so use your instrument. Practice for hours and think over, if the feeling of discomfort is still there.
2. Grab one guitar of your collection, which you have not used for a long time. Start practicing a lot on this instrument. If you are lucky you will fall in love again with the old instrument.
3. If the desired guitar has a feature, which is missing in your collection, think over to modify one of your other guitars. But avoid modifications, which are irreversible, otherwise the guitar will loose its worth.
4. Buy something little and cheap to change the playing feel and sound of your old set-up. The easiest and cheapest way to change everything is to buy another kind of plectrum. Many people underestimate the influence of the plectrum.
5. Analyze what you don’t like about your old guitar. Often you will end up complaining about the playability and the set-up. Consider to order a professional set-up. A set-up by an experienced luthier or a PLEK-job will dramatically change the comfort of your instrument.
6. Change the pick-up. Probably you have a collection of PU’s lying around. What’s about to swap the PU’s of your guitar? If you are playing Metal it might be a good idea to replace this Standard-PAF with a Ceramic-PU.
7. Set a rule for yourself: Every time when you want to buy a new one, you have to sell an old one. Are you able to give away one of your babies? In this way you are strengthening the emotional relationship to your guitars.
8. Ask for opinions: You will not take the opinion of your girl-friend or wife too serious, but what’s about your band-colleagues? Show them your desired item and ask for an advice.
9. Think about the look and image of your desired guitar: Will it fit for your musical style and your band? For an example your Metal band will not be amused, if you appear with a Gretsch White Falcon. Your Punk-friends could be ashamed, when you bring your 5000$ PRS with Gold-hardware on stage.
10. Buy a used one! If number 1 to 9 are not helping look for your guitar at ebay and find it for the half price.
Picture above: PRS violin II